Frequently Asked Questions about Sciatica Relief
At Lorain Injury Center, we always meet several patients who have endured months or years of pain due to sciatica. However, most can live a pain-free lifestyle after subjecting themselves to our natural treatments. If you have sciatica, you may have many questions. You are in the right place because we will help you understand the cause and treatment options for sciatica.
What is sciatica?
Your body has several nerves originating from the spine. The sciatica nerve, the longest nerve in your body, is one such nerve that originates from the lower back to your legs. This nerve provides sensations and controls your leg muscles.
If this nerve becomes irritated or compressed (due to disc herniation or narrowed spinal column), you may experience pain that travels from the lower back to your legs.
The other common symptoms of sciatica include:
- Tingling and numbness in your lower extremities
- Shooting pain when standing up, walking, or coughing
- Weakness in the affected leg
- Reduced hip flexibility
If you have sciatica pain, you don’t have to learn to live with it. Instead, scheduling an appointment with a chiropractor in Elyria, OH, can put you on a path to recovery.
What are the common causes of back pain?
Disc herniation is the common cause of sciatica. When the spinal discs slip, they may compress the sciatic nerve, causing back pain. Also, injuries, sports accidents, and falls may cause sciatica pain.
Can anyone get sciatica?
While we are all at risk of sciatica, some people are more susceptible to this condition. Here are the risk factors for sciatica pain:
- Age - the older you are, the more the risk of sciatica
- Smoking - tobacco intake puts you at risk of sciatica
- Obesity - unhealthy weight may put pressure on the spine, irritating the sciatic nerve
- Pregnancy - weight gain and loosening of the pelvic joints during pregnancy may pressure the spine, triggering sciatica pain.
How do our chiropractors treat back pain?
Chiropractors don’t mask your sciatic pain with painkillers. Instead, we use natural methods to treat the root cause of your pain. Common treatments for sciatica pain include:
- Spinal manipulation to reduce pressure on your compressed spinal nerves
- Spinal decompression to create spaces in your vertebrae column
- Massage therapy to soothe away your sciatica nerve pain
- Stretching exercises to relieve pain and strengthen your muscles against future injuries
Sciatica pain relief near me
Don’t let sciatica pain take control of your life. Instead, book an appointment with one of our chiropractors to help you manage your symptoms. If you are in Elyria, OH, reserve an appointment with Lorain Injury Center for pain relief. Call our office today at (440) 240-9390.